Friday, May 28, 2010

Alex's story

Each morning before practice we do a mission moment. This allows us to reflect on WHY we are training and raising money.
This is this weeks mission moment
"Hello, my name is Alex. When I was twelve years old I was diagnosed with Hodgkin’s Lymphoma. I went through numerous tests and scans, and after a biopsy I was diagnosed with stage 2B. I had to undergo chemotherapy for one to two years and radiation for 6 months.
Going through that is very hard at any age. But if you hold on, and don’t give up you will make it through. There were many times during my treatment where I didn't think I could do it anymore, but I didn't give up because I thought about what would happen if I did, and what it would be like when it was all over. Let me just say that thinking of what it will be like when it’s over, is a lot better than thinking about giving up. With my family by my side, my friends, and stories from other successful victims of this terrible disease, I made it through.
I am 15 now and I have been in remission for 3 years. I am glad I didn't give up, because now I can act and most importantly feel like a normal child. I also have bright hopes for my future. After going through something like this you feel like you can accomplish anything, and if you put your mind to it and want it bad enough, you can.
When I am older I hope to be an Anesthesiologist. Also when I turn 16, I would like to race my jet-ski to raise money that can be donated to The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
Just remember that if you think of the outcome and don’t give up, you will make it through. Also, think of all the people like me that HAVE made it through and were successful in fighting off this terrible disease. "

No comments:

Post a Comment